Since May 2020, temples of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints have been reopening in a cautious, careful way, in four phases and based on local circumstances and governmental restrictions related to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Temples in the first three phases are operating on a limited basis. Key precautions are in place for temple workers and patrons, including masks worn at all times, limited numbers of patrons in the temple at a time, minimal staff in the temple, sanitization after each temple ceremony, careful social distancing and seating arrangements, and temperature checks at the entrance.
The four phases of opening reduce risk, accommodate the demand and capacity of the temple and observe health restrictions in the temple district.
Phase 1: Living husband-and-wife sealings by appointment
- Perform living sealings only for previously endowed members under strict guidelines and safety precautions
Phase 2: Open for all living ordinances only with restrictions
- Perform all temple ordinances for living individuals, with priority given for those who will be sealed. The next priority will be endowments for in-field missionaries (who left home prior to receiving their endowment), then followed by those departing for missionary service. These priorities will be addressed according to the capacity and scheduling ability of each temple.
- Maintain closure of patron housing, clothing and cafeteria operations
Phase 3: Open for all ordinances with restrictions
- Continue performing ordinances for living individuals
- Perform limited ordinances on behalf of deceased individuals
- Open patron housing, clothing and cafeteria operations as needed
Phase 4: Open for full operations
- Resume regular temple operations
No new temples will open in Phase 1 on December 28, 2020. A total of 25 temples are in Phase 1.
No new temples will open in Phase 2 of reopening on December 28, 2020. A total of 121 temples are in Phase 2.
- Taipei Taiwan Temple (December 21, 2020)
- Nuku’alofa Tonga Temple (December 28, 2020)
- Apia Samoa Temple (in coming weeks)
- Brisbane Australia Temple (in coming weeks)
The following 11 temples have paused operations due to local COVID-19 restrictions:
- Ciudad Juárez Mexico Temple
- Colonia Juárez Chihuahua Mexico Temple
- Fresno California Temple
- Halifax Nova Scotia Temple
- Los Angeles California Temple
- Newport Beach California Temple
- Oakland California Temple
- Philadelphia Pennsylvania Temple
- Redlands California Temple
- Sacramento California Temple
- San Diego California Temple