Support Local Journalism

ISLAND PARK — A squirrel got his goose cooked on the morning of Sept. 10 after he crawled into a meter box.

Fire fighters were called to a home near the Webster Subdivision around 10 a.m. that day where they found the trapped squirrel.

“It never got to flames or anything,” reported Island Park Fire Chief Nathanael Brandemihl. “We had to wait for the power company to come and shut off the power, pull the meter and get the guy out of there,”

The incident killed the squirrel.

“He sat there and sizzled,” he said. “He was about medium rare. He stunk,”

Brandemihl says that rodents versus meter boxes aren’t unusual, and that the fire department has been called out before to help on those.

Other than the squirrel, no one was injured and no property was damaged.